Ahoy! Here's what you may not know about pirates...
- Talk like a pirate day started in 2002!
- Pirates first discovered guacamole!
- Pirates did wear eye patches.
- Pirates wore earrings because they thought it improved their eyesight
- The English word "pirate" is derived from the Latin term "pirata" which means sailor or sea robber and from the Greek word "peirates" which literally means "one who attacks ships."
- Mary Read and Anne Bonny were two of the most famed pirates of all time. They're the only two women known to have been convicted of piracy at the height of the 'Golden Age of piracy'.
Phone 01422 250800